Skip to main content Skip to footer

Frequently Asked Questions

I am new to town. How do I find out where to vote?
To find your voting location click here.


What should I bring with me on Election Day to the polling location?
When you appear at the polling location, State law requires that the poll clerk ask you to provide identification to verify your eligibility to vote in that precinct. (ND Century Code 16.1-05-07)

An acceptable form of voter identification must include:

  • Name
  • Residential Address* (a post office box number cannot be accepted), preferably a photograph
  • Date of Birth

Appropriate forms of identification include a Valid North Dakota:

  • Driver's License
  • State Identification Card (non-Driver's License)
  • Tribal Government issued identification
  • Long Term Care Identification Certificate (provided by ND facility)

If an individual's valid identification does not include the North Dakota residential address or that address is not current, a voter may supplement the identification with:

  • A current utility bill
  • A current bank statement
  • A check or document issued by a federal, state, local or tribal government
  • A paycheck
  • A printed student voting certificate issued by an institution of higher education for an enrolled student accompanied by the student photo identification card issued by the institution and containing the student's photograph and legal name.

*if the residential address on your ID is no longer correct, missing, or displays a non-physical address such as a PO Box, please make sure the provider of that ID has your physical address on file. This address in your voter record is updated as changes are received from ID providers and this address determines your voting precinct when qualified to vote.


As a college student, what requirements must I meet to vote in Burleigh County?
College students need to meet the four requirements that all voters must meet:

  • 18 years of age or older; 
  • United States citizen; 
  • North Dakota resident;
  • and have lived in their precinct for at least 30 days before the election.

Students that are from North Dakota and currently reside in Burleigh County usually meet the four requirements but often elect to vote by absentee in their home county because they want to maintain that as their residence. Students maintaining their North Dakota residency while attending school out-of-state are eligible to vote by absentee ballot using their North Dakota address. Students that are residents of Minnesota or other states should request an absentee ballot from the state they maintain as their residence.

Click here to read more information from the ND Secretary of State.


How do I avoid long lines at the polls?
To avoid long lines at the polls, vote at off-peak times. Polls are busiest from about 7:00 AM to 8:30 AM, 11:30 AM to 1:30 PM and then again at 4:30 PM to 7:00 PM. Voting from 8:30 AM to 11:30 AM and from 1:30 PM to 4:30 PM is lighter and may save you time when going to the polls. This also applies to the early voting precinct where our busiest times are over the lunch hour and after 4:30 PM.


What forms do I need to file to run for a county office?
A candidate for a county office shall file:

These must be filed with the County Auditor by 4:00 PM on the 64th day before the election. Please contact your county auditor regarding the required number of signatures for the petition.

What is a crossover vote?
In the June election, you may vote for candidates in only one political party. That means you may not vote for a Republican in one office and a Democrat for another office. You must vote for candidates in one political party. This requirement is for statewide political races on the June ballot only. Political races on the November ballot may be voted any way you like. The voting equipment used at every polling location will notify you if you have incorrectly voted for candidates in more than one political party.

Are there different identification requirements for voting Absentee?
According to ND Century Code, 16.1.07-06,

You will need a valid:

    • North Dakota form of identification listed above 
    • Passport or Military ID - Only for North Dakota residents living outside the United States who do not possess one of the other forms of identification. 
    • Attester - An applicant without an acceptable form of identification may use an attester. The attester must provide his or her name, North Dakota Driver's License, non-Driver's, or Tribal Identification Number, and sign the absentee application form to attest to the applicant's North Dakota residency and voting eligibility.

Are you a North Dakota Uniformed Service Member or Family Member stationed away from home?
Please click here for more information.

Are you a North Dakota Resident living outside the United States?
Please click here for more information.

Subscribe to Our News Releases

Subscribe to Our Agenda Notifications

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.